Monday, October 4, 2010

I'll Pay You Later, I Promise

One of our regulars came in the other day.

"Is the boss here?" he asked.

"No, it's Sunday," I replied.

"Well, can I have a pack of cigarettes and I'll pay you back in a few days?" he looked at me.

Let me give you a little background on this guy. Sometimes we let our regulars do this and pay us a few days later. I understand hard times and all, but when you screw us over and don't come back for 6 months, well, we've learned our lesson and aren't going to let you get away with that again.

Which is precisely what this guy did. Six months ago, we gave him a pack of smokes and he said he'd pay us back on payday a few days later. He ended up coming in 6 months later, thinking we forgot about what he had done. But we caught him and got our money back. He even had to pay more, because cigarettes had gone up in price during that year.

And here he is, trying it again:

"No, you can't have cigarettes," I said.

"Why not?"

"Because we aren't going through this again. You didn't come back last time so you ruined it for yourself."

He gets an evil look in his eye. "I came back right away last time." Ahh, how he can so easily lie.

"Well, you're not getting any cigarettes from here, so go try somewhere else."

Apparently he had come into our store the night before and tried the same thing with other employees, telling them that the boss said it was okay if he took a pack of cigarettes.

I'm guessing he screwed over the other stores on our corner, because he was coming back around to us begging for cigarettes.

What's bad is that this guy DOES have money. When I refused to give him a pack of cigarettes one time, he pulled out a wad of $20s and paid for them that way.

6 comments:

  1. From now on, unless the guy leaves his left testicle (properly stored in a medically approved container) for collateral, he does not get a pack of cigarettes "until payday."

    Freaking mooch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your blog because I was a cashier for many, many years. People really are something, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a mooch. I took pity on a customer one time, didn't even know him, and paid $5 that he was short on his bill. I was shocked when he came back 2 days later and paid me back. Not too many people around like that any more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He sounds like a delight. When I worked at Dunkin' Donuts, people would always ask us for donuts before we threw them away for the night. My co-worker foolishly gave a dozen to one of the high school kids one night. And like god damn clockwork, that same kid was back the entire week, at that same god damn time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What...an...idiot. Do people think we were born yesterday?? Besides, cigarettes are not even remotely CLOSE to being a basic human need, and shouldn't be given for free EVER. I could maybe understand if it's a gallon of milk to feed a baby with, or something like that. But CIGS?? Fawk that motherfawker. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHAT. A. DOUCHE.
    He should kick that friggin' habit if he can't even afford it. Jeez.

    ReplyDelete

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs using stock image by lemn