Thursday, February 18, 2010

People I Went to School With

I remember one time a kid I went to school with came into the store. Well, he was a dork in school and here he was walking in all high and mighty in his business suit. I could tell he recognized me, but saw that I was working at a gas station and didn't want to associate with me.

At this time, we had our snuff products sort of behind the counter, which meant that people weren't really allowed to go back there. Well this big popular guy decides to reach his long arms and body back behind the register in order to grab his snuff. So naturally, I say something to him because no one is allowed to go back there, but him being Mr. Cool now didn't say one word to me. I had to ring him up with him ignoring me the whole time even though I know he recognized me. What an asshole.

I hate when I see people I went to high school with. I have my reasons for working at a gas station, and it's no one's business but my own. But when I see people I used to know, that don't know I'm working there, I can see them try to recognize me and at first they can't. But then I see the recognition in their eyes and it's clear that they know they went to school with me, while they're wearing their business suits or nurses scrubs. And here I am, in my crappy clothes and working at my crappy job, right?.

I've given up on asking them if we went to high school together, because usually they hardly respond, as if I'm some low lifeform that isn't worth the time to have a conversation with. Or they think that if they talk to me, they might catch the gas station bug and become a loser like me.

Here's a piece of advice if you want to be considered a nice person. Never be embarrassed to talk to someone you used to know, no matter what they are doing with their lives now. Unless they are chopping up a dead body or selling themselves for money. But really, that person that you now think is a loser is probably just as embarrassed to see you at their crappy job, so don't make it any harder on them.

As for me, I still get angry when this happens to me. I don't care that I'm working at a gas station, I get upset at the responses I get to it. Just leave me alone, people. And get out of my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs using stock image by lemn